Northern Sydney Local Health District promotes and supports partnering with our community and consumers to foster strengthened decision-making about treatment, health service development and quality improvement.
At all stages of health service provision, community members have the opportunity to be involved in decision-making. Partnering with our consumers is more than just consultation – it involves working in collaboration with our consumers and communities to make decisions, solve problems, plan and deliver quality services to our community.
Partnering with our community:
- promotes the exchange of information and sharing of stories
- improves the quality and transparency of decisions
- supports an inclusive approach to opinion formation about health issues
- can reduce delays in implementing plans and policies
- promotes accountability
- increases the likelihood that health services will be relevant, and so uptake will be improved
- spreads community understanding of how health services operate
- increases community appreciation of constraints on the health system
- increases staff and management appreciation of how services are perceived by the community
- increases credibility when lobbying for additional funding
- improves the community's and patient's sense of control over factors affecting their health
- improves health outcomes.