The NSLHD Graduate Health Management Program (GHMP) offers a unique opportunity for enthusiastic, committed, high potential graduates wishing to step up to the challenge of a career in the public health system.
The primary purpose of the GHMP at NSLHD is to develop future health leaders for a rewarding and challenging career in health service management in Northern Sydney Local Health District (NSLHD) and the wider NSW Health system.
This position provides an exciting opportunity to work at the leading edge of health service management, learning from our highly experienced and motivated senior health executives
About the Program
The GHMP is conducted over two years commencing in February of each year. Trainees are employed on a temporary full-time basis within NSLHD and undertake a Master's Degree in Health Service Management through the University of Tasmania (UTAS).
In 2021, NSLHD three positions will be offered in the program; two general positions and one finance-specific position.
The work component of the program sees you working closely with Executive mentors completing a placement every four months during your first year across the District, and either six monthly or 12 monthly placements in your second year. There are a range of placements available and these are decided on by the Chief Executive. Trainee placements may include:
- Chief Executive, Northern Sydney Local Health District
- Executive Director Operations, Northern Sydney Local Health District
- Director Finance & Corporate Services, Northern Sydney Local Health District
- Director Workforce & Culture, Northern Sydney Local Health District
- General Manager; Hornsby Hospital, Ryde Hospital, or Royal North Shore Hospital
Study while you work
As part of the program, all trainees are required to undertake and successfully complete the Masters of Health Service Management through the University of Tasmania (UTAS). The fees for this course are funded by NSLHD. For more information about this study component visit the
Benefits of NSLHD GHMP
- This program provides an exciting opportunity for recent graduates to develop a career in health service management.
- Trainees have the opportunity to learn the hands-on skills of health management from a team of highly experienced and motivated senior health executives.
- The program provides the opportunity to work at the leading edge of health service management.
- The program is open to recently graduated applicants who possess an undergraduate degree from a recognised University relevant to the health context; for the finance position must possess a university degree that is recognised by CPA Australia.
- There is no age limit for the program, however it is worth noting that it is a development program designed to grow future leaders and managers in the health sector.
Candidates will need to meet the following criteria:
- Consistently demonstrate behaviours that reinforce the CORE Values of our organisation; Collaboration, Openness, Respect and Empowerment. Demonstrate these behaviours with all stakeholders; colleagues, direct reports, as well as our patients and consumers and those that care for them.
- Possess an undergraduate degree from a recognised University* relevant to the health context; for the finance position must possess a university degree that is recognised by CPA Australia as per
*In the event that you are successfully shortlisted and you have an overseas qualification(s) you will be required to email the University of Tasmania ([email protected]) with the graduate certificate and transcripts in order for them to be assessed for equivalency to the Australian Qualifications Framework.
- Demonstrate a drive for results and an ability to analyse research and make recommendations based on contemporary evidence.
- Demonstrate a high level of motivation and interest in a career in public health management.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills including effective communication and engagement skills and an ability to influence others.
- Demonstrated experience of project management, with evidence of outcomes.
Applying for the program
Applications for the 2021 GHMP program have closed. Recruitment for the 2022NSLHD GHMP are scheduled to commence in August 2021.
For more information please contact Education Consultant Graduate Health Management Program