Their purpose is to promote falls prevention for all patients and assist older people to stay fall-free in the community.
This year's theme is 'Frailty - Do you know the signs?
- Frailty can impact a person's ability to function and maintain independence.
- Frailty is a clinical syndrome in which multiple physiological processes decline. It is a risk factor for poorer health outcomes including falls, hospitalisation, disability and admission to residential care.
- Frailty can be measured by looking at deficits related to fatigue, strength, mobility, illness and loss of weight.
April Falls Day® 2019 is an opportunity to promote Frailty - Do you know the signs? across your hospital, community setting or residential aged care facility.
Help reduce the incidence of falls in our health facilities and the community. Use the following resources to get the message out during
April Falls Month activities.
Seminar & Expo
"Frailty: Recognise the Signs"
A free forum and expo for clinicians, partners in health care and consumer advisors of Northern Sydney Local Health District and Community Services with an interest in recognising and managing frailty.
- The latest evidence regarding Frailty and links with Falls Prevention
- The latest developments with regards to management from medical, pharmacological, physical activity and nutritional perspectives, including work in NSLHD and Sydney North Primary Health Network
- Discussion regarding clinical application of frailty screening in NSLHD including leaders from a range of specialties, disciplines & care settings
- Prof Sue Kurrle, Clinical Director Rehabilitation and Aged Care, NSLHD
- Prof Sarah Hilmer, Geriatrician and Pharmacologist, RNSH
- Other NSLHD Clinical Leaders
When: Wednesday 3rd April
Time: 8.45am - 1.00pm (registration from 8.30am) - Morning Tea provided
Where: Kolling Auditorium, Royal North Shore Hospital (Video Conference links are possible by prior arrangement & with a local coordinator)
Registration: Natalie Dawes, Clinical Network Administration Officer e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Frailty: Recognise the Signs - Forum & Expo Flyer
2019 Posters, Flyers & Presentations
Frailty - Do you know the signs? (Photo Version)
Frailty - Do you know the signs (Graphic Version)
Frailty - Do you know the signs - Health Professionals
Frailty - Do you know the signs - staff
Spotting the signs of poor nutrition
How to refer to a Dietitian in NSLHD
April Falls Day - Frailty, Do you know the signs (Powerpoint presentation)
General April Falls Posters
How to Fall Proof Yourself
Falls are preventable - We all have a role to play
Patients at risk - Falls risk screen
Preventing falls - tips for seniors
Carers: Your role is key
Carers: Your role is key (detailed)
Carers are important
Pets are a hazard - Dogs
Pets are a hazard - Cats
Don't go head over heels
Don't bite the dust
Dance like no-one is watching
Set yourself up to stay independent at home
Theme - Nutrition & Hydration, Eating well to prevent falls
April Falls Day - Nutrition & Hydration: The role of Allied Health Professionals
April Falls Day - Nutrition & Hydration: Community
April Falls Day - Nutrition & Hydration: Hospitals
April Falls Day:April Falls Day - Clinical Excellence Commission
NSW Falls Prevention Program -Clinical Excellence Commission
Previous Years of April Falls Day