Live Life Well @ School is a long-term program that aims to get more students, more active, more often, as well as focusing on healthy eating habits.
The Healthy School Canteens Strategy
> Win a $3000 voucher for canteen equipment when your school applies for a Menu Check
The Healthy School Canteens Strategy guides schools to increase the availability of healthy food and drink options in school canteens to make a healthy choice, the easy choice. This Strategy replaces Fresh Tastes @ School (i.e. the traffic light system).
The Strategy is consistent with the Australian Dietary Guidelines and classifies food and drinks as either Everyday or Occasional.
NSW public schools will transition to the new strategy over a three year period, ending in 2019.
For more information:
Healthy School Canteen Strategy
Healthy Kids Association
Healthy Kids (NSW Government)
Northern Sydney Healthy School Canteens
The Northern Sydney Health Promotion Service aims to support local school canteen workers to implement the NSW Healthy Canteen Strategy and provide healthy tasty food and drinks to students.
For more information contact our
Healthy School Canteens Contact.
The NSW School Canteen Menu Check Service is available to schools. The
free Service reviews schools menus against the Food and Drink Criteria.
The Menu Check application Form is available at:
Menu Check Application Form
Win a $3000 Voucher for Canteen Equipment
Northern Sydney primary schools who apply for a free Menu Check before 31st October 2018 have the chance to win a $3000 canteen equipment voucher from Northern Sydney Health promotion! (see terms & conditions).
- The promotion is open to schools who have already made healthier menu changes
and those looking to make them.
- Come to a free
workshop on 12th September in North Ryde for help in completing the menu Check Application (optional)
- The Menu Check will provide great feedback on your menu and help your school make healthy changes.
Menu Check Competition Flyer
To go in the draw to win:
Register your school using the Registration link below.
During Registration, you can also choose to book into the free workshop and provide feedback on a Northern Sydney School Canteen Network.
Complete & submit a Menu Check Application form before 31st October 2018.
Menu Check Application
* Terms and conditions
- To be eligible to win schools MUST be registered using Northern Sydney Health Promotion's Menu Check Registration Form.
- Schools must be located in the areas covered by the Northern Sydney Local Health District.
- Prizes consist of one $3000, one $2000 and one $1000 vouchers only. Delivery costs must be considered as part of the total voucher (additional funds will not be provided for delivery of goods).
- Winners will be randomly drawn and winners announced in November 2018.
- Winning schools must provide a photo of representing their canteen and a 100 word description of how the voucher will help the canteen provide healthier menu items for students.
- Menu Checks must be completed through the NSW Healthy School Canteen Menu Check Service and include the school principal's signature.
- Final entries to be received by 5pm 31st October 2018.
Crunch&Sip® is a state-wide program designed for schools to set a break to eat fruit (or salad vegetables) and drink water in the classroom. Students 're-fuel' with fruit or vegetables during the morning or afternoon, assisting physical and mental performance and concentration in the classroom. Health Promotion supports schools to implement the program.
More information about this program can be found at:
Live Outside the Box is a two week challenge for Stage 3 (years 5 and 6) primary school students, on how to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle.
Students are encouraged, with the support of their families and teachers, to Live Outside the Box for two weeks.
- turning off the TV and computer games
- getting outside
- being more active.
It also means reducing the amount of less healthy foods and replacing these with healthier alternatives.
More information about the state-wide program can be found at:
Live Outside the Box (Healthy Kids NSW)
Q4:H2O is a one week challenge for stage 2 students (year 3 and 4) to promote the concept of healthy drinks to children and to support teachers getting healthy drink messages to families.
Students are encouraged to choose water and reduced fat milk by completing a student card which includes messages for parents. The project is supported by providing teachers with information and support e.g. interactive whiteboard resources.
Discover more information and all the resources at: