What should I do if I am feeling unwell?
If you are unwell within three days before your surgery you will need to call the hospital or contact your local doctor for advice.
If you are too unwell for surgery, it may be postponed until you are feeling better and it is safer for you to have an anaesthetic.
Also, with early notice, someone else waiting can be contacted to have their surgery.
Tell us at least few days before if you have any of the following:
- Temperature or fever - feeling hot or cold
- Sore throat
- Rash or swelling
- Feeling unwell
- A cut, break or tear in your skin
- Any infected wounds
- Diarrhoea or vomiting
- A recent unplanned visit to the emergency department or local doctor
Tell us as soon as possible
- If unable to attend the hospital due to work or family commitments
- A new pregnancy we don't know about
- A new medical problem we don't know about
- You don't have anyone to take you home after surgery
- You don't have anyone to stay with you after the surgery
- You have changed your mind about the surgery
- You have changed your mind about where you want to have your surgery
- You have concerns about your surgery
What other people found useful