The NSLHD COVID-19 Clinical Research Group, chaired by infectious disease specialist Dr Bernie Hudson, includes members from a number of disciplines that have come together to coordinate approaches to COVID-19 clinical research. Co-Chaired by Associate Professor Rory Clifton-Bligh, the rapid evolution of COVID-19 crisis led to innovative approaches to conceiving and conducting clinical trials for COVID patients and healthcare workers.
NSLHD is participating in or leading 41 COVID-19 studies (as of Nov 2020) across six broad areas of focus:
- Emerging treatments for COVID-19
- Prevention (chemoprophylaxis) of COVID-19 in high risk groups (including health care workers)
- Biomarker research for diagnosis and prognosis (including biobanking)
- Epidemiology of disease outbreaks in NSLHD
- Health services data collection and research
- The impact on non-COVID-19 related activities (both in health care and in research)