The eligibility criteria of the service is as follows:
- live within either Hornsby or Ku-ring-gai Local Government Areas (LGAs)
- have a current Medicare card
- Aged 0-end year 6
- have a suspected communication and / or swallowing difficulty
- developmental or cognitive abilities fall within the range of mild delay, borderline, average and above average.
- do not qualify for NDIS or the ECEI program
Clients who do not meet these eligibility criteria will be provided with information on how to access the appropriate relevant service.
All outpatient paediatric Speech Pathology referrals are managed centrally by the department. To enquire or refer your child, call 9024 9000 at any time. Parents must call to refer their child. No GP referral is required.
For all inpatient feeding referrals, please call Speech Pathology Administration on 9477 9554.
Children with feeding difficulties are prioritised. Please ensure you advise administration if you are referring for swallowing/feeding difficulties.
Clients are unable to utilise public and private Speech Pathology services at the same time. It is possible to go privately during breaks from therapy, however this should be discussed with your managing Speech Pathologist to ensure good communication on therapy conducted and goals that are targeted.
Information regarding key Speech Pathology topics and to search for a private Speech Pathologist, contact:
Speech Pathology Australia: http://www.speechpathologyaustralia.org.au
For information regarding stuttering, we recommend parents visit: http://sydney.edu.au/health-sciences/asrc/