The Community Aged Care service is provided to people living within the Lower North Shore region within their homes and in clinic environments at Royal North Shore Community Health Centre.
Aged Care Medical Assessment Clinics
Specialised Medical assessment and management of older people,
- Dementia and other cognitive problems
- Problems with mobility and frailty
- other medical issues
A referral from a Medical Specialist or a GP is required.
Multidisciplinary service focussing on identifying fall risk factors in older people who have fallen, who are at risk of falling, or who are unsteady on their feet. We then aim to modify or improve any reversible risk factors, using exercise, medication review and deprescribing, treating other contributing medical conditions, recommending glasses and footwear adjustments and/or suggesting home modifications. A referral from a Medical Specialist or a GP is required.
Is a multidisciplinary diagnostic clinic and treatment service for people aged 50-75 years with concerns about early memory loss or cognitive decline. Clients are seen by a medical specialist and a clinical psychologist and undergo blood tests, brain scans and detailed memory tests. The Memory Clinic provides feedback, long-term follow-up and access to treatment where indicated. A referral from a Medical Specialist or a GP is required.
An out-patient clinic that provides access to clients of the Aged Care service to detailed cognitive testing. The testing will assess for the presence, severity and breadth of any changes in aspects of thinking such as memory, attention, processing speed and reasoning skills. A referral from a Medical Specialist or a GP is required.
RNS Community Allied Health Team
Multidisciplinary team providing assessment and management of older people to optimise their health and wellbeing.
- Nutrition related problems such as weight loss, poor apetite, under nutrition reduced food and fuild intake
- Chronic disease specific diets
- Occupational Therapist
- Promotes safety and independence in daily activities
- Assessment and support regarding home modifications and equipment
- Pressure care and education
- Promotion of maximising mobility and physical function
- Mobility assessments
- Falls prevention
- Social Worker
- Aims to enhance social and personal wellbeing
- Support and information to older people and their carers to resolve problems
- Evaluation and treatment of communication and swallowing disorders
- Parkinsons Group
- Specialised Allied Health program in the treatment and management of people with Parkinsons disease.
- Strength and Balance Group
- Short term physiotherapy exercise class to improve strength and balance
RNS Older Persons Mental Health Service
- specialist mental health clinical care generally to people aged 65 years and over. People under 65 years old, including Aboriginal people aged 50 years and older, can also use this service if it is suitable for their needs.
- services are delivered by a range of health professionals with skills and expertise in mental health problems affecting older people and people with age-related frailty. This includes specialist old-age psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists, and social workers.
The service includes
- specialist mental health assessment
- care planning
- short and longer term clinical management
- clinical advice to other key services, health
- professionals and programs collaborative activities to support early intervention and recovery for older people with mental health problems.
Referrals to Mental Health Line Phone: 1800011511
Residential Aged Care Information Service
- provision of information, support and assistacne regarding residential aged care.
- support to older people and their carers rgarding residential care facilities that can accomodate and meet the specific care needs of the older person.