We work in partnership with communities, health staff and other organisations to provide health services which meet the cultural, linguistic and spiritual needs of our consumers.
Our services are provided free of charge to people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
We provide the following servcies to CALD community groups and individuals:
- information on health and health services including multilingual resources
- referrals to other health services
- information on interpreting services
- health education and health promotion sessions for community groups
- information on rights and responsibilities when using health services in Australia
- a health check-up program for refugees and humanitarian entrants
- a volunteer mentoring program for refugees and humanitarian entrants
- opportunities for community members from CALD backgrounds to provide feedback and be involved in the planning and review of our health services. This includes the NSLHD CALD Consumer Advisory Group.
We support staff of the Northern Sydney Local Health District by:
- organising cultural competency training
- facilitating access to intepreting services
- linking services with specialist multicultural health services and resources
- working in partnership with services to develop models of care which better meet the needs of people from CALD backgrounds; implement strategies to ensure our patients and carers from diverse backgrounds are actively involved in their health care; access and develop multilingual health resources; involve consumers from CALD bagrounds in planning and reviewing services.
The Muliticultural Health Service is also responsible for the monitoring and reporting on the Multicultural Policies and Services Program (MPSP) in the NSLHD.