The Department of Clinical Immunology and Allergy at Royal North Shore Hospital is based in Pathology North (Northern Sydney Division) and in the Acute Service Building and provides consultations, investigation and management of patients with allergy, autoimmune and immunological disorders. In addition to the provision of a seamless service, the department is also involved in education, research and collaborative activities with other departments within Royal North Shore Hospital and Pathology North.
The Immunology Service provides assessment and management of the following conditions:
- Primary and acquired immunodeficiencies
- C1 inhibitor deficiency
- Autoimmune diseases/disorders such as SLE, Sjogren’s syndrome, vasculitis
The Allergy Service provides assessment and management of the following conditions:
- Allergy/Anaphylaxis to drugs, insects, foods, covid-19 vaccination and unknown cause
- Chronic urticaria and atopic dermatitis
- Allergic rhinitis (hayfever)
- Mast cell disorders
The COVID Vaccine Allergy Clinic will accept referrals for patients with:
- Documented or suspected allergy or anaphylaxis to one of the ingredients contained in the COVID-19 vaccine to be administered (Pfizer or Moderna – PEG or AstraZeneca – Polysorbate 80).
- Anaphylaxis to a prior dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Delayed reactions to a COVID-19 vaccine with significant organ involvement.
- Symptoms suggestive of IgE-mediated reaction (<4 hours) to a previous dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
- A history of confirmed monoclonal mast cell disorder with anaphylaxis that requires treatment
Treatments and Procedures:
- Allergy testing- skin prick testing, intradermal testing, patch testing
- Administration of allergen immunotherapy (sublingual or subcutaneous)
- Patient training on administration of biologic agents for asthma, chronic urticaria and atopic dermatitis
- Drug skin testing, challenges, penicillin delabelling (inpatient or outpatient)
- Drug desensitisation (inpatient)
- Oral food challenge
- Subcutaneous Immunoglobulin (SCIg) administration and training
- Berinert administration and training