On this page:
What will I be doing?
Throughout the program, you will undertake various placements working with and learning from highly experienced senior executives. These placements will provide an in-depth understanding of how a local health district, its health facilities and services are managed from an operational and strategic perspective. Throughout your placements, graduates will participate in projects that analyse and improve our health service, critically analyse issues to solve complex health management problems, and gain experience managing regular operational processes.
The first year of the program consists of three four-month placements across NSLHD facilities and services. In year two, General Stream graduates will complete two six-month placements in areas of their preference, and Finance Stream graduates one 12-month placement across the District’s Finance department.
Over the two year program, General Stream Graduates will complete a fully-funded Masters of Health Service Management whilst Finance Stream Graduates will complete a Certified Practising Accounting (CPA) Program
Throughout the program, you will work in different locations across NSLHD depending on the senior executive with which you are placed. This may include but not limited to:
- The NSLHD Chief Executive, located at the Royal North Shore Hospital Campus
- A General Manager of one of our acute hospitals (Hornsby, Ryde, Mona Vale or Royal North Shore Hospitals)
- A NSLHD Service Director responsible for one of the following portfolios:
- Director of People and Culture
- Director of Clinical Governance and Patient Experience
- Director of Mental Health Drug and Alcohol
- Director of Primary and Community Health
- Director of Operations
Why join our program?
Our Chief Executive and the NSLHD Executive Team are passionate developing your skills, confidence and capabilities as a future leader in the NSW Health System. Throughout this program, you will:
- Be treated as part of the NSLHD Executive Team from Day 1
- Work alongside and learn from industry leaders in NSW Health
- Work on meaningful, innovative projects that move our health system forward
- Receive regular feedback, peer to peer and executive mentoring and coaching to help you thrive
- Attend courses through NSLHD and NSW Health to support your professional development
- Attend monthly Executive Learning Sets where you will collaborate and present with a senior executive on a complex strategic or operational facet of the public health system
- Payment of your Masters of Health Service Management or Certified Practising Accounting (CPA) Program fees
- Access to up to five supported study leave days per semester
- Four weeks of annual leave and 12 allocated days off per year
- Flexible working opportunities depending on your placement Access to Salary Packaging, an employee tax benefit scheme that can reduce your taxable income and increase your take home pay.
- Access to a Fitness Passport, which provides members with access to a range of fitness facilities.
- Competitive starting salary of approximately $66,000 per annum plus superannuation.
- Upon successful completion of the Program, Graduates will progress to a senior position in NSLHD whilst you continue completing your CPA program
What happens at the end of the program?
Graduates will be given a 12-month temporary contract in an area that interests you upon successful completion of the program. In addition, graduates will be given targeted career coaching and support in applying for longer term employment opportunities at NSLHD.