Nicalert™ is a test which measures the amount of nicotine in your body once it has been broken down by your liver. It is detected in your saliva when you smoke cigarettes or use nicotine replacement medications.
Research programs usually require this type of biological and objective confirmation of smoking cessation in order to make the data more robust or believable. It also provides encouraging feedback for you as a measure of progress.
This is why we will ask you to take this test at session 4 (6 months) if you are not smoking and not taking nicotine replacement medications.
Please follow the instructions below ensuring that you have not eaten or drunk anything within 5 minutes of the saliva test.
1. Open the packet and remove the strip taking care to touch only the green end and place the strip on a non-absorbent surface.
2. Place the funnel inside the saliva tube and spit into the funnel so that it is filled to ⅓ of the container.
3. Snap on the lid of the saliva container and then apply 8 drops to the white padded end of the strip.;
4. Wait at least 30 minutes for the blue line to disappear at the top of the strip. The measurement can be read once the blue line has gone.
5. You will be asked to hold the strip up to the camera for the counsellor to observe the result, and to take a picture of it to be sent to us via text (or email). We will then determine and record your result