As a health service with a large carbon footprint, Northern Sydney Local Health District (NSLHD) has a responsibility to mitigate the effects of climate change whilst continuing to provide high-quality healthcare. In order to advocate for the highest standards of health, wellbeing and equity for our patients, staff and the community, NSLHD has identified Planetary Health as key area of focus.
Planetary health is a relatively new field and recognises the inextricable link between the health of our planet and the health of human civilisation.
At NSLHD, we recognise the importance of planetary health and realise that as stewards of the natural ecosystem, it is crucial that we balance advocating for healthy communities alongside contributing to a healthier environment. Across the district, there are a number of planetary health initiatives underway. These include:
- Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Hospital solar panel installation, the largest hospital solar panel installation in Australia, will reduce carbon emissions by 900 tonnes and yield over one million kilowatts of power.
- Royal North Shore Hospital has joined the Global Green and Healthy Hospitals Network. Through this initiative, hospitals commit intent to improve sustainable initiatives across the organisation in areas such as waste improvement.
- The RNSH operating theatres have implemented pharmaceutical waste segregation strategies, battery recycling and metal salvaging from laparoscopic procedures processes.
We are pleased to release the
NSLHD Planetary Health Framework 2021-2023 that sets out the district's commitment to continually improving and reducing our environmental footprint and subsequent impact on the planet and climate change. To achieve this vision, the framework identifies five priority planetary health domains:
- Sustainable organisation
- Capital works and procurement
- People and places
- Models of care
- Waste management and resource recovery
The NSLHD planetary health committee is the peak planetary health governance body for the district. The committee holds responsibility for maintaining oversight of the priority domains outlined in the framework and for driving NSLHD's planetary health agenda.
For further information please contact:
NSLHD Executive Unit