Resources to assist teachers and educators to learn more and educate young people about vaping.
Vaping has become a growing concern within the school community, especially the increasing number of young people who have taken up vaping. Schools are seeing the direct impact e-cigarettes are having on young people and their health. Education and awareness about the harms of vaping is a key area to help young people make informed decisions about their health.
Vaping and young people – curriculum resources to address vaping: A professional learning on demand video designed to support teachers of PDHPE to address vaping through PDHPE curriculum. This video provides educators and teachers with an understanding of:
- vapes and vaping culture
- how to address vaping through the PDHPE curriculum
- works with the stage 4 learning sequence and the NSW Health “Do you know what you’re vaping?” campaign materials
Stage 4 Facts about vaping teaching resource: This Education NSW resource will help students to understand:
- types of influences on them when it comes to vaping, particularly on social media
- risks and short term effects of e-cigarettes
- advertising and marketing strategies targeting young people, and compare and critique
Stage 5 Reframing vaping teaching resource: This Education NSW resource will help students to understand:
- assess which types of advertising could have the most influence over young people
- learn how to determine the credibility of social media messages they are exposed to
- challenge their assumptions about vaping for young people
- describe how we associate social status with brands and brand name products and how we believe others perceive us by what we do.
NSW Health: Do you know what you’re vaping teacher resources: NSW Health has developed resources for young people, parents and carers, teachers and schools, and health professionals. Resources includes fact sheets, posters, newsletter information and social media tiles.
Know when you are being played video:This video specifically highlights the market tactics by tobacco companies to sell their products, specifically e-cigarettes. Teacher lesson plansare available to assists High School PDHPE staff to address vaping using the content of the video. Developed by: PDHPE Teaching Staff and Murrumbidgee Local Health District, Australia, 2021.
Respect your brain: animated video series: The Respect Your Brain animated video series focuses on the impact of five drugs commonly used in Australia and explores the way these drugs affect a young person’s developing brain.
Vaping and young people for educators | Student Wellbeing Hub: A resource developed by Education Services Australia, the Studnet Wellbeing Hub has curated resources for teachers and educators to talk about e-cigarette use.
Clear The Air
: Cancer Council WA has developed a website which can be used by teachers to help showcase to students what's inside vapes, how they are built and how they harm your body.
Understanding the health risks of e-cigarettes and vaping video: This video explores common questions and misconceptions around the health risks associated with using e-cigarettes from a GP’s knowledge and experience.
Mid North Coast Youth Taskforce Newsletter Snippets: A series of resources, including newsletter snippets for school newsletters on vaping. Topics include:
- What is a vape?
- Regulations and laws
- Why are concerned about young people and vaping
- How to have the conversation with a young person who is vaping
How to support young people who are curious about vaping