The Royal North Shore Hospital Scientific Staff Council (RNSH SSC) is the primary body representing the scientific community on the Royal North Shore Hospital campus. Our membership comprises laboratory, medical, allied health or clinical staff employed in a research capacity at the NSLHD-RNSH (including Pathology North and Allied Health Services), the universities (principally University of Sydney), and NHMRC/Other grant holders based at the RNSH campus.
The RNSH SSC is the longest-serving scientific council of its type in Australian public hospitals and, to our knowledge, the only one currently in operation in Australia. Our mission statement is "Promoting Scientific Excellence in Health Care and Science"
For queries or more information, please contact the RNSH SSC.
What we do
The RNSH SSC:
- represents the professional interests of all scientists at the RNSH campus and liaises with relevant groups and committees across the campus
- organises seminars of general interest which are open to all staff and students
- promotes and administers travel fellowships, awards and grants to assist in career development of its members.
Annual membership is for the duration of the financial year (1st July – 30th June of the following year) and is free of charge.
There are two types of membership – general and student.
General members may include laboratory-based, hospital/pathology or clinical scientific research or diagnostic staff.
Student members must be scientific research or diagnostic post-graduate students (Masters or PhD).
To be eligible potential members must spend at least 50 per cent of their working week based at the RNSH campus and for whom the first affiliation is an institute at the RNSH campus. Staff or students not meeting these criteria may be considered upon application on a case-by-case basis.
Click here to download the RNSH SSC Membership Form .
All Travel Fellowships administered by the RNSH SSC are proudly sponsored by Ramsay Health Care. Ramsay recognises that people – staff and doctors – are the most important asset. The Ramsay Way philosophy of "People caring for People". For more information on Ramsay Health Care please refer to the website: http://ww w.ramsayhealth.com
RNSH SSC Travel Fellowships awarded for Australasian travel is $1,500 and for international travel is $4000.
The RNSH SSC reserves the right to alter the award value, and does not award fellowships by default. Values published here may not be correct at the time of application, please consult the Application Form and Criteria provided above.
Research Support Grant
These grants ($3000) will aid scientists working on the RNSH campus to obtain essential small laboratory equipment or support other ancillary costs to progress their research. Click here for the application form.
Professional Development Awards
These awards ($500) will aid scientists working on the RNSH campus to attend career development workshops or courses relevant to their field of research.
Click here for the application form.
RNSH SSC Executive Committee can be contacted at:
Executive Committee Members
- Sumit Sahni (Chair/Secretary)
- Connie Diakos (Deputy Chair)
- Catherine Luxford (Treasurer)
- Taymin du Toit-Thompson (Travel award coordinator)
- Advaitha Jagadeesan (Forum organiser; Postgrad/PReSS representative)
- Nunki Hassan (Logistic coordinator)
- Sarah Maloney (Research Support and Professional Development Award Coordinator)
- Pich Chhay (PReSS Representative)
- Peter Heggie (Member)
- Kwei Tong (Social Media coordinator)
- Qinghua Cao (Member)
- Juanita Chui (Member)